No announcement yet.

MTL Next werk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, done it a few times and always found it an absolute killer.

Dave is a mentalist though, he'll eat two laps for breakfast!

I remember ohbaby doing it in sub 4 hrs on a Nukeproof Mega ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Disco_Stu View Post

I remember ohbaby doing it in sub 4 hrs on a Nukeproof Mega ​​​​​​​
      It was the shorter travel mega Stu but it was still a good day!
      i know it’s out of fashion these days but anyone who’s had a crack at it get extra man points in my book

Comment

I have always been tired at the end of the MTL and feeling like "I've had enough" rather than "Ready for more".
        It took around 8 hours in the few times I've done it - always in a group, all on Pedal bikes, but there has always been at least one slow rider who is seriously lagging behind.
        I think if I was with a faster group that didn't hold me back I think my time would be somewhere around 5 to 6 hours on a non assisted Bike.

Would like to try it on an E Bike but can't be arsed with the Gates! With a group of competent E Bike riders going quick and helping out with the Gates then I think 3 hours would be a reasonable aim. (Keeping ~ 10-15mph on the climbs and smashing the DH's at ~20-30mph)
        Last edited by Grannyjone; 04-09-2020, 21:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco_Stu View Post

I remember ohbaby doing it in sub 4 hrs on a Nukeproof Mega
          Sub 4 hours ?

I thought the fastest known time on record to complete the loop on a pedal bike was a few minutes over 4 hours!
          Last edited by Grannyjone; 04-09-2020, 21:23.

Comment

MTL loop times depend on a lot of variables. Wind is the major one, large sections are very exposed, hence why there are so many wind turbines. Gates are another, if you can pair up with someone you can save lots of time. Some sections can be a mud fest after heavy rain. Bike section is also key. Hardtails are light and fast but you get beaten up , suspension bikes smouth out the bumps, but the extra weight slows you down as there is a lot of climbing.

Don't forget mechanicals, I was doing part of the loop yesterday and unexpectedly snapped a mech hanger on the top Rooley Moor. I know a few who have more serious failures and had to abandon.

Short travel suspension bike would be my choice. Unfortunately I no longer own one.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

The second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

Fastest time I can find on Strava is a few minutes over 4 hours in reported bad conditions. Guy that set it is a very fast XC racer. No doubt someone will have done it sub 4 with the right conditions.

Comment

I remember when we used to do the Event regularly Phil and Hendy were both really quick, getting about 4:15 I seem to remember. I was happy to get under 8 hours!
                If paying anything, don't forget to pm me with details, what it is for, and by what method. Cheers.

Comment

I think the fastest lap in the club was done by David Wells

Comment

Don't forget mechanicals, I was doing part of the loop yesterday and unexpectedly snapped a mech hanger on the top Rooley Moor.
                    How did that happen ?
                    Last edited by Grannyjone; 05-09-2020, 10:25.

Comment

I take it all these ~4 hour times had people to help out with the Gates ??

If I remember right there are ~ 80 Gates on the MTL.

Opening and closing that many Gates alone would probably take me 2 hours total!!

Comment

Yep, it used to be done as an organised event for the Rosedale mountain rescue, and there'd be a few hundred riders, so the idea would be to buddy up with a few riders of similar pace and then you might only open every few gates if you worked it between you.
                        If paying anything, don't forget to pm me with details, what it is for, and by what method. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Grannyjone View Post

How did that happen ?
                          Riding along the stone slabs at the top of rooley Moor. The mech hanger just broke off.

Comment

Originally posted by artillerydave View Post
                            Yep, it used to be done as an organised event for the Rosedale mountain rescue, and there'd be a few hundred riders, so the idea would be to buddy up with a few riders of similar pace and then you might only open every few gates if you worked it between you.
                            Sounds like it was a good event

I used to just do it with a big slow group so not really the best idea to find out how long it takes me to complete it

The last time I did it we had a rider who is a bit slow and he was about 60 and he crashed really early on and was seriously lagging behind for the rest of the ride. That must have put me off because I've never done it again since.

Comment

I think I did it a couple of times in just short of 5 hours. The only time I rode against Wellsy, he was on a hardtail and kept puncturing so I beat him I think Ohbaby did it another year about 10 mins quicker than my best. As mentioned, the gates are a pain in the arse. When we did the event you could work with other riders to get the gates for each other which saves a bit of time but hardly any were left open for us. It's during this time in my riding career that I learned to eat a banana whilst having a wee.
                              Ride Free...

Comment

Just had a look the last time I did the MTL was in 10 hours 35 minutes (Don't laugh!) with the aforementioned Group which included some slow riders and 1 who was *seriously* lagging behind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/691071712
                                Last edited by Grannyjone; 06-09-2020, 22:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X