Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a bike

Hi I've just picked up a brand new still in box,
    Mountain bike frame. . It's a PRONGHORN pr6-xc 100.
    I've looked into the bike..n it's Danish. It has a reallynice finish..brushed alloy. Anyone else know if it's worth building as a retro project

Oh I've already altered the rear..as an engineering company as taken it from..a 9mm qr to a 12mm bolt through maxle with alloy captive nut. So can run 10/11 rear gears.

Comment

It would have still been able to run 10 or 11 speed as 9mm qr rear, as the spacing is the same.

I'll be honest I've never heard of the brand but if it's a nice frame then it's always worth building up if you need another steed.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
      If paying anything, don't forget to pm me with details, what it is for, and by what method. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss 47 View Post
        Hi I've just picked up a brand new still in box,
        Mountain bike frame. . It's a PRONGHORN pr6-xc 100.
        I've looked into the bike..n it's Danish. It has a reallynice finish..brushed alloy. Anyone else know if it's worth building as a retro project
        Frame with the suspension exposed along the top of top tube. Good luck if you slip off the saddle whist landing a jump.

Good for a retro build, no longer any good for XC racing as everything has gone 29" including the courses

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
        The second mouse gets the cheese

Comment

Yes that's the 1..I just never seen 1 n I just love
          The way it looks..the 12mm conversation is a financial
          Option . I have set of rovel from the stumpjumper n it runs
          12mm 143.. so just have them... not using to jump or race. I'm just building to see if I can..I guess. What rock shox forks would I run.. as I'm looking at 100mm >120mm travel, bit 9mm qr.. any help would be great.

Comment

Yes that's the 1..I just never seen 1 n I just love
            The way it looks..the 12mm conversation is a financial
            Option . I have set of rovel from the stumpjumper n it runs
            12mm 143.. so just have them... not using to jump or race. I'm just building to see if I can..I guess. What rock shox forks would I run.. as I'm looking at 100mm >120mm travel, bit 9mm qr.. any help would be great.
            If you are building a retro XC race bike then it has to be rock shox sid forks.

Comment

But did you she the top gear. .e type but it's reto but built with modern technology. .so retro look..but rides n gas the modern parts ..

Comment

Does this make sense. .retro look but more reliable and usability parts... ?

Comment

Don't make sense. All the improvements since this bike was around have been 1x drivetrain, bigger wheels and frame geometry. If you make these changes you might as well just buy a modern bike.

I built a XC race bike in 2010 and raced it for years. It was built with SRAM X0 and Shimano XTR. Didn't have any reliability issues except the frame cracking 2 years ago. I'm either still using the parts or have flogged them on ebay.

XC race geometry is focused on going fast in straight lines. Which means getting your body more over the front wheel. Long stem and flat bars, which are no longer in fashion.

Comment

You should do what makes you happy. The looks are going to be very marmite.

I'd only put top parts on it if you need cutting edge performance and as already stated the frame isn't anywhere near cutting edge so it's a bit of a fools errend.

Better to put upper mid range components like XT which give you all the performance of the top end for a small weight penalty and a massive cost reduction

Comment

1247655283851-i3vwycbwtllv-ac57deb.jpg

Shocking
                      Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity

Comment

Wow what a strange design!, I've never heard of them or seen it in any MBR or anything. What year is it from?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
                        If paying anything, don't forget to pm me with details, what it is for, and by what method. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X